Thursday, October 9, 2014

Vocabulary #5

1. shenanigans: mischief; prankishness; deceit; trickery
Ex: Her shenanigans caused her to be kicked out of Wal-Mart temporarily.
2. ricochet: the motion of an object or a projectile in rebounding or deflecting one or more times from the surface over which it is passing or against which it hits a glancing blow; rebound
Ex: The basketball ricocheted off the backboard and after they rebounded the ball they scored a point.
3. schism: division or disunion, especially into two parties; church or state related
Ex: A schism was created between the couple when they got into an argument.
4. eschew: to abstain or keep away from; shun; avoid
Ex: I need to eschew from soda and cheese balls to maintain a healthy diet.
5. plethora: overabundance; excess
Ex: Buffets provide a plethora of food, especially if they were only meant for one person.
6. ebullient: overflowing with fervor, enthusiasm, or excitement; high-spirited
Ex: It was decided that we would choose an ebullient person to be Willy the Warrior.
7. garrulous: excessively talkative in a rambling, roundabout manner, especially about trivial manners; wordy or diffuse
Ex: I asked her why she had my necklace and all she gave me was a garrulous response that didn't answer my question.
8. harangue: a scolding or long or intense verbal attack; long pompous speech or writing; sermonizing lecture
Ex: The bully gave me a harangue after I tried to sit in her seat on the bus the first day of school.
9. interdependence: the quality or condition of being interdependent; mutually reliant on each other
Ex: Our interdependence provided a great rock for one another when we both faced difficult situations.
10. capricious: subject to, led by, or indicative of a sudden odd notion or unpredictable change; erratic; fanciful; witty
Ex: Our weather is very capricious and that is why I ALWAYS bring a jacket to school.
11. loquacious: talking or tending to talk much or freely; talkative; babbling; wordy
Ex: My three year old niece is very loquacious as she is learning the English language.
12. ephemeral: lasting a very short time; short lived; transitory
Ex: When I scored a goal, my fame was only ephemeral as they came back and scored 893 more.
13. inchoate: not yet completed or fully developed; rudimentary; not organized
Ex: The inchoate project received a C but would probably have earned an A if they were given two more weeks.
14. juxtapose: to place close together or side by side especially for a comparison or contrast
Ex: We juxtaposed the two essays to see what an A and D would look like.
15. perspicacious: having a keen mental perception and understanding; discerning
Ex: I was very internally sad, but only my perspicacious friends were able to notice it behind my smile.
16. codswallop: nonsense; rubbish
Ex: My grade in that class was codswallop because I did every assignment and got A's on every test.
17. mungo: a low grade wool from felted rags or waste; shoddy
Ex: You can find many mungo sweaters at thrift stores for winter.
18. sesquipedalian: given to using long words; a word containing many syllables
Ex:She explained the rules to us in a sesquipedalian manner so that it was much easier for her to win.
19. wonky: shaky; groggy; unsteady; unreliable; not trustworthy; stupid; boring
Ex: The wonky kid behind me in my stats class always tries to cheat off my tests and takes my dang pencils.
20. diphthong: an unsegmentable, gliding speech sound varying continuously in phonetic quality but held to be a single sound and identified by beginning and end sound; digraph
Ex: The diphthong at the beginning of the episode let me know that Pretty Little Liars was what was going to air.

No comments:

Post a Comment