Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Vocabulary #2

accoutrements: noun additional items of dress or equipment, or other items carried or worn by a person or used for a particular activity.
Ex: The accoutrements necessary to participate in the soccer match included cleats and shin guards.
apogee - noun apoapsis in Earth orbit; the point in its orbit where a satellite is at the greatest distance from the Earth; a final climatic stage
Ex: The apogee of the movie surprisingly occurred just when I thought that the movie was going to end.
apropos - adj. of an appropriate or pertinent nature; adv. by the way; at an opportune time
Ex: The apropos time for me get the most food at the buffet occurred when there was no longer a line for the shrimp.
bicker - noun a quarrel about petty points; verb argue over petty things
Ex: When my mom and sister asked me to be the mediator of their bicker, I immediately left the room because it was a waste of my time.
coalesce - verb fuse or cause to grow together; mix together different elements
Ex: My garden is a coalesce of tomatoes, zucchini, and squash.
contretemps - noun an awkward clash
Ex: The performers' outfits were contretemps of stripes and floral print.
convolution - noun the action of coiling or twisting or winding together; the shape of something rotating rapidly
Ex: Her convolution of braids seemed a bit odd at first but ended up complimenting her costume finely.
cull - noun the person or thing that is rejected or set aside as inferior in quality; verb  remove something that has been rejected; look for and gather
Ex: During prom time, our school creates a club open to any cull dealing with the struggle of rejection and search for another date.
disparate - adj. including markedly dissimilar elements; fundamentally different or distinct in quality or kind
Ex: We were two disparate people and that is why we could not decide on what to do for our science fair project.
dogmatic - adj. characterized by assertion of unproved or unprovable principles; relating to or involving dogma; of or pertaining to or characteristic of a doctrine or code of beliefs accepted as authoritative
Ex: Hannah made the dogmatic statement that I am funny when she clearly doesn't laugh at any of my jokes and makes me feel like hiding under a rock. (This was a joke we crack each other up on the daily.)
licentious - adj. lacking moral discipline; especially sexually unrestrained
Ex: My partner in Health class was so licentious that I asked permission to sit on the opposite side of the room.
mete - noun a line that indicates a boundary
Ex: I drew an imaginary mete around my room for my sister so that she would stop stealing my things.
noxious - adj. injurious to physical or mental health
Ex: Julia wasn't allowed to play rugby because her mom thought it was too noxious for her fragile structure and because she does not contain a single athletic bone in her body.
polemic - adj. of or involving dispute or controversy; noun a controversy (especially over a belief or dogma; a writer argues in opposition to others (especially in theology)
Ex: The polemic debate sparked my interest when someone claimed there to be evidence of extraterrestrial life forms.
populous - adj. densely populated
Ex: San Francisco is so populous that I feel like I am constantly in contact with strangers whenever I'm in public.
probity - noun complete and confirmed integrity; having strong moral principles
Ex: My father is a probity and is highly respected among his co-workers.
repartee - noun adroitness and cleverness in reply
Ex: Her repartee after the teacher's criticism landed her a seat in detention after school.
supervene - verb take place as an additional or unexpected development
Ex: Our spontaneous trip to Pompeii while in Italy was a great supervene during our trip.
truncate - adj. terminating abruptly by having or as if having an end or point cut off; verb make shorter as if by cutting off; approximate by ignoring all terms beyond a chosen one; replace a corner by a plane
Ex: She truncated our conversation by saying that she needed to go home and finish her homework because the topic was beginning to make her feel uncomfortable.
unimpeachable - adj. beyond doubt or reproach; completely acceptable; not open to exception or reproach; free of guilt; not subject to blame
Ex: Hannah is a probity and very hard worker making her high grade point average impeachable. 

For some reason it is not letting me post the definitions even though I have rewritten them numerous times, sorry for the inconvenience. 

1 comment:

  1. For some reason it is not allowing me to post the definitions of the words even though I have already rewritten them numerous times, sorry for the inconvenience.

    ReplyDelete