Sunday, January 4, 2015

Big Question: Update

I have actually changed my big question as my previous one about why happiness varies from person to person; species to species; etc. was too broad and was provoked out of pure curiosity. I was conversing with my father a couple days ago and he made me question what this world would be like if humans didn't need to sleep. To start off with the obvious, our lives would essentially be thirty percent longer, but is that necessarily a good thing? Would we use those extra hours for greatness or evil? Would life feel rather similar to today as we learned to adapt? Clearly we would have more time to accomplish tasks without feeling exhausted, but with more time would we be assigned more so time allotment would feel identical? This also makes me wonder if food and water would play such a huge role in our lives if it didn't need to be provided as an energy source? Also would we ever feel tired or energized or simply remain in a state of neither? This particular topic sparked so much interest in me because I for one, LOVE my sleep and actually look forward to it at the end of the night. However, it seems to consume too much of my time when I need to complete tasks or it distracts me when I need to be focusing. I feel like it is extremely relevant to today as the majority of people rely on it so much after a long day of working hard, playing sports, taking advanced classes in school, and/or eating unhealthy foods that only provide comfort and temporary satisfaction without really energizing one's body properly. I personally need to sleep excessively on the weekends to catch up on the hours I missed throughout the week, which really irritates me when I wake up and lunch is ready because I have slept through half the day and missed half the opportunities that could have potentially been presented to me. Learning about what life would be like without sleep (assuming it would be more than fantastic) will hopefully inspire me to lead a healthier lifestyle so that I will need less of it because ceasing it entirely from my life would be impossible and crazy! In order to really understand what life would be like, I will first need to uncover the true beauty of sleep and the science behind it all. I will need to read articles as to why we need sleep in the first place. Then I will be able to determine what would need to happen in order for our bodies to maintain homeostasis without the slumber and from there it would most like be predictions and the studies from scientists.

No comments:

Post a Comment